Tuesday, December 30, 2008

DO I RETURN?

So I lay on my floor, thinking of what the next day will bring for my wounded intruder. He seemed like he wanted to tell me what happened, and I was willing to listen. So here I am, on my floor, thinking of the story he's about to tell, when I hear a moan coming from my bedroom. It's Dan, needing help to get up.


As I enter the room, he's crouching in the corner of the floor, moaning in pain. I get him back into bed, and tell him he's going to the hospital or he can die. I don't give him an ultimatum, and he finally does as I say.

I help him get dressed with clothes that I had from a previous boyfriend. They weren't the perfect fit, but it was better then nothing. I called a cab, and it arrives sooner than I think. I slowly help him up, clutching onto his waist and chest. As Dan is in horrible pain, I yet can't help but notice his muscular body. His pain is getting worse, only for his wounds to open up again and start bleeding. We get in the cab, and as we're on our way, the cab driver doesn't stop asking questions. I told him if he didn't shut up, he wouldn't get a nice fat tip. Suddenly not another word came out of his mouth.

I got help from the emergency room to help Dan out of the cab, and they immediately put him on a gurney. My mind now is racing with thoughts of what he's going to tell the doctors, and I don't even try to give him advice. I'm allowed to follow the interns and nurses, and they take him into an examining room to attend to his wounds. As they strip off his clothes, he's lying there naked, as they attempt to stop the blood coming out of his chest and belly. I could just stand there and watch, feeling his pain as they begin sewing him up.







They begin to ask him the obvious questions, and he goes into a rant that doesn't make sense. Then they start asking me the same questions, only to let them know the truth. That he appeared at my front door, and all I did was to come to his aide. No more, no less. They tell me he has to stay over night, and as they leave, I see his stitched up body, as he looked so alone and helpless. Maybe it was me that felt so alone, so helpless.


I stayed with him in his room for a while longer, as I needed to get back to my apartment. So now what? Do I leave him there? He had to have relatives, friends, someone that would help him. I told him I would see him later, and to call me if he wanted to talk before I returned. But would I come back?

No comments:

Post a Comment